Butler County Engineer's Office

 

Home

Projects

Road Reports

Permits/Records

What's New
News Releases
Public Announce
Contracts
Technology

About Us

Butler County

Links

Site Contents


 www.bceo.org

* News Release *
 
Thursday, August 19, 1999
For Immediate Release

BCEO RECEIVES FEDERAL GRANT FOR MAJOR MILLIKIN ROAD IMPROVEMENT

Butler County Engineer Dean C. Foster announces that a $680,000 federal grant has been approved for upgrades to Millikin Road in Liberty Township. The Engineer's Office applied for Federal-CSTP funds to upgrade a portion of Millikin after the County assumed responsibility for the road in 1997. As a Township road it did not qualify for the federal grant.

Plans call for a complete rehabilitation of Millikin Road between Mauds Hughes Road and Cincinnati Dayton Road, which will include cutting, rebasing, and resurfacing of the entire roadway. Existing lanes will be widened, full berms will be added, and guardrail and raised pavement markers will also be installed. The project is designed to improve safety and promote a more efficient traffic flow.

Foster said the federal money covers approximately 80 percent of the total project cost, which is estimated to be $850,000. The Butler County Engineer's Office will pay for the remaining 20 percent.

"The project is to be managed as an LPA (Local Public Agency) project, which means that the BCEO will oversee all aspects of the construction phase," noted Foster. Previously, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) managed all federally funded projects, though local agencies could do plan preparation, environmental studies, and acquire right-of-way. The BCEO is the only County Engineer's Office in Ohio to fully utilize the LPA process which was implemented by ODOT over a year ago.

Millikin Road Improvements Numerous

Recent and future improvements to Millikin Road by the Engineer's Office are numerous. The bridge over Gregory Creek is currently being replaced, two culverts have been replaced, and the road will resurfaced between Ohio 747 and Mauds Hughes Road this year and next. The BCEO is working in conjunction with Fairfield Township to construct a new bridge that will extend Millikin over Bypass 4 later this year, and is also working with ODOT to improve the intersection at Ohio 747.

Together these improvements will dramatically improve safety along Millikin Road, one of Liberty and Fairfield Township's major east-west roadways. Residential vehicles as well as commercial and truck traffic will be able to travel more efficiently along the road, which carries over 5000 vehicles per day in some sections.

# # #


Questions or comments about this web site? Email to BCEO Webmaster.

Home | Projects | Road Reports | Permits/Records | What's New | About Us | Butler County | Links | Site Contents 

www.bceo.org